Thursday 12 January 2012

Barbados cream

Where this name comes from, I don't know, but it is a dessert that I grew up with and that was what it was called in our house. I always looked forward to eating it and I was always disappointed when it was finished. My mum used to make it in individual ramekin dishes which I think was designed to stop us arguing over who got more as we all enjoyed it. Anyway, it is a really simple pudding which is so quick to make, I made it today quickly when I got in from work and it was ready for our son to have as a pudding. It is really important that you give it some time to settle as the sugar needs time to melt into the creamy yoghurt mix. How much cream and yoghurt you use can vary, as long as they are about equal, you can make as much or as little as you want.

We don't always have puddings, but I really enjoy them. My husband has a more savoury appetite than I do, he always jokes that it is a family thing. I guess it's true, in a restaurant his family are more likely to order a starter then a main whereas my family will order main and then a dessert. I try to pick from restaurant menus really carefully for a variety of reasons. My main one now though, is going out to a restaurant is such a treat, I want to be able to enjoy everything I eat and not come out feeling so full that I just want to fall asleep and digest!

Barbados cream

Small pot double cream (250-300g)

Small pot Greek style yoghurt (250 - 300g)

Dark muscovado sugar

 
 

  1. Pour the cream into a bowl and whisk until it is whipped and forms stiff peaks. It is important that it reaches this stage as the yoghurt will make it runny again.
  2. Stir in the Greek yoghurt until a you get a smooth consistency. Add the yoghurt in small amounts so that it doesn't become too runny by adding too much yoghurt.
  3. In a shallow dish (or a few individual ramekin dishes) sprinkle a covering of sugar. Spoon the yoghurt and cream mix on top and spread it out so that the sugar is covered. Sprinkle another layer of sugar on the top.
  4. Put into the fridge for 1 to 2 hours to allow the sugar to melt.

No comments:

Post a Comment