Monday 2 April 2012

Honey mustard chicken

There are some things in my fridge that I buy, use once or twice and then forget to finish using it, curry paste and mustard are two that often thwart me. Now that I'm thinking more about what I buy and throw away, I'm trying to be more creative with the contents of our cupboards and fridge. So as well as cooking curry from scratch more often, I thought I'd try out a recipe using the wholegrain mustard sitting in the fridge. My husband isn't the biggest fan of mustard in any shape or form and whilst our son is adventurous I was worried that too strong a taste would put him off. This was also a good opportunity to cook with a cheaper cut of chicken, namely, thighs. I think that they work out about half the price of a chicken breast but are much tastier. There is a bit more fat and bits that you might want to cut off but it is de-skinned and de-boned but the end result is juicier once cooked.

Honey mustard chicken (feeds 2 adults and 1 toddler)

5 Chicken thighs (or whatever is in the packet of chicken)

1 tbsp oil (I used sunflower)

1 tsp wholegrain mustard

1 tsp honey

  1. Pre-heat the oven to 200C. Place the chicken onto a baking tray. Mix together the oil, mustard and honey in a bowl.
  2. Brush or spoon the mix onto the chicken. If you prefer a stronger taste, make more mix or use more to cover a piece of chicken.
  3. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.

I cooked ours this evening with potato wedges and parsnip wedges roasted in the oven. My mum gave me a magic mat for Christmas which is really useful as you don't need to have oil and the potatoes/meat/whatever doesn't stick to the tray.

No comments:

Post a Comment