Monday 6 February 2012

Make your own noodles

This was such a simple and quick lunch that warmed us up on a damp cold day. I was inspired by the BBC Good Food magazine which had arrived at the weekend. There is always lots of recipes that we want to cook when we get this magazine and I think it's really helpful to read other peoples recipes. It gives you something new to try but also inspires you to cook food that is similar or like with this recipe you adapt it to include what you have in your cupboard. The joy of this lunch for me today was that it didn't take any time to either prepare or cook. We started late this morning as I knew it was going to be icy and I didn't want to rush to the supermarket early and get caught in either work traffic or icy conditions. It meant that we got back from the supermarket late and I would need something quick and easy to prepare.

Quick noodles

1 strip fine egg noodles

1 tsp vegetable stock granules

500ml boiling water

Handful peas

3 spring onions

Chopped garlic, ginger, chilli pepper 

  1. Start the kettle boiling. In a medium saucepan place the peas and stock granules. Once the kettle has boiled, pour 500 ml water into the saucepan and get it boiling.
  2. Allow the peas to cook for 5 minutes before adding the noodles.
  3. Whilst the noodles are cooking wash the spring onions before slicing them finely. I have ready chopped garlic, ginger and chilli in the freezer but if you were using them fresh, chop them up quickly and as much/little as you like.
  4. Once the noodles have cooked, don't drain them. Add the chopped spring onions and garlic, ginger and chilli and stir through thoroughly.

As I was giving this to my son I made sure that he didn't get too much chilli as it would be a bit strong for him. I enjoyed having a bit more chilli and on a damp day when you're watching the snow melt, it was the perfect lunch. 5 minutes to prepare, 5 minutes to cook, didn't last much longer once we'd started eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment