Monday 27 February 2012

Nothing beats a mum's recipe for pancakes

I know Shrove Tuesday has been and gone, but I started writing this before then but have only just got around to finishing it.

My childhood memories of my mum's pancakes make my mouth water just thinking about it! The best bit is that the recipe couldn't be easier. 1, 3, 5 is the basic ratio I use and can be easily scaled up to feed more people. There have been countless times when I've been living away from home and on realising it's pancake day, have rung home to my mum to ask her for the recipe. Now I am more organised and have the recipe written down, but I still like to have that sticky note from my mum nearby to make sure I've got the quantities right. I am also trying to make pancakes more often than once a year as they are so simple and are a good treat.

We have a special pancake pan and I have to admit that it does make it easier to make pancakes but it isn't a necessity. My favourite way to eat them is with lemon juice and sugar, which unbelievably to me, my husband hadn't tried before he met me! It never fails to amaze me how different families eat differently and have their own tastes and preferences. Another way I love to eat them is with a thin layer of nutella (chocolate/hazlenut spread) and then roll them up. Understandably our son just likes to eat them with anything, he loved pancake day this year.

I doubled the quantities for pancake day so that we made 6 pancakes. Remember that the first pancake will not be your best as the pan is still getting hot (particularly if you're impatient like me) and the last one will be dependent on what mix you have left. I add a knob of butter before each pancake. The joy of this ratio is that as long as you use the same tool for measuring the flour and milk, you only really need a spoon to measure. I make my mix in a jug so that it's easy to pour the mix into the pan. Finally, I try to make it ahead of time so that the mix has time to rest.

Pancakes (makes 3)

1 medium egg

3 tbsp plain flour

5 tbsp milk

Butter

  1. Whisk the egg, flour and milk in a jug. Mix well to get out any lumps.
  2. Heat the pan over a hot heat, once hot, add a knob of butter. Pour in the mix and twist the pan to spread out mix to cover the pan. Flip when starting to brown.
  3. Once cooked on both sides, add toppings of choice and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment