Wednesday 23 November 2011

Chicken hotpot

Getting food on the table for the evening meal can sometimes seem like a real challenge. I understand how tough it can be, if you've been at work all day or if you've been at home looking after the children all day, the likelihood is that you're tired and looking forward to relaxing in the evening. Being able to cook a satisfying meal without putting too much effort in is key and the freezer can be your best friend in trying to achieve this. Planning ahead also helps, when I started work at my current employers four years ago, they would make friendly fun of me when I said that I planned my meals in advance. At the time I was planning a month ahead for week day meals, and whilst it does sound a little extreme, it really helps. Now I tend to plan a week ahead, particularly as I use my day off to do the supermarket shop, and it means that we avoid a panic over what we're going to eat.

Anyway, I'd planned to use up some cooked roast chicken that was in the freezer (which is still full of lamb!) and know how much my husband loves chicken pie. I originally used a recipe from a TV chef but have adapted it to make it simpler and so suit family life more. I also didn't fancy pastry so changed the pie topping for thinly sliced potatoes. Using the left over roast chicken helps out in a couple of ways, it helps make the carcass of a roast go further and it takes out the time and need to chop up and cook raw chicken.

Chicken hotpot (served 2 generously and 1 toddler)

3 leeks

5 mushrooms

Tbsp. olive oil

Tsp chicken stock granules (we used reduced salt in our house)

150ml (or more) boiling water

Chicken meat left over from roast

3 heaped tbsp. crème fraiche

1 large potato

  1. Roughly slice the leeks and mushrooms and put into a deep pan. Place on a medium heat and start to sweat the leeks and mushrooms.
  2. Meanwhile, thinly slice the potato, this is the topping so the thinner the slices, the crispier the topping and place to one side. Roughly chop or break up chicken into bite sized pieces.
  3. Once leeks and mushrooms have softened and the chicken stock granules and the water. I tend to add enough water to start to make a sauce rather than drown the mix in water. Once this has been stirred in add all of the crème fraiche and some freshly ground black pepper. Allow to simmer for a few minutes then transfer into an oven dish.
  4. Lay the potatoes over the top of the mix, overlap the potatoes making sure though that at least ½ of each potato will be seen. Grate some more black pepper, a sprinkling of salt and dot over some unsalted butter. Put into a hot oven (about 200°C) for at least 30 minutes or until the potatoes are golden brown and cooked.

We really enjoyed this meal and our son did too, I cooked some diced carrots and swede to accompany this. If you didn't want to increase the size of the hotpot you could always cook a whole load of vegetables and even some potatoes to accompany the meal. The vegetables included in the hotpot can be varied although something from the onion family is a good basis for the start of this meal. I mention using reduced salt stock granules in my recipe; salt is something that I will cover another day as it's an important topic that I would like to discuss for a variety of reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment