Thursday 10 November 2011

Sprinkle some love at breakfast

I am not a morning person, it's that simple. My mother-in-law learnt early on in our relationship that it's best to wait until I've had a cup of tea and something to eat before speaking to me. She's a very perceptive woman and I really appreciate that she gets me! I can, and do regularly get up for work which means eating breakfast about 7am but it doesn't come naturally to me. For this reason, breakfast for me is a very practical meal which is a necessity as without it I feel ill very quickly. My favourite breakfast tends to vary between muesli and porridge, not that exciting but they are something that will fill me up that I can face eating. Sorry, no fancy fry ups or pancakes for me, pouring it into a bowl is as complicated as I can cope with.

However, these two breakfasts on their own can become boring and tedious when consumed with such regularity, so I enjoy varying what I buy in the shop. Something I enjoy making and which tastes great on either porridge or muesli is breakfast sprinkle. You can buy these from various shops and supermarkets but I tend to find that I want more of one item or I don't like another item so it's great making my own and choosing what goes in.

Breakfast sprinkle

Mixed seed (I use pumpkin, sunflower, linseed, sesame)

Dried cranberries

Dried raisins or sultanas

Chopped dried apricots

Almonds (if I have time I will bash them up and quickly toast them in the oven)

Pour the quantities you like into a container which can seal air tight and shake it up. I like to vary the contents, sometimes I use toasted hazelnuts or other dried fruits depending what is in my cupboard. With muesli I am also a great fan of adding natural yoghurt and fresh fruit. My 2 and a half year old son loves muesli and insists on having sprinkle, yoghurt and fruit like mummy. It sounds too good to be true but he really enjoys eating it, especially if he's been allowed to add his own muesli and sprinkles.

I really admire anyone who is able to get up early and prepare a fabulous spread, but this little sprinkle is a life saver to me in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment