Monday 14 November 2011

Making salmon tasty

I love eating fish and try to include it in our diet regularly, although I know I'm not as adventurous as TV chefs would like us to be with the type of fish I cook, I like to think that I've come up with a few ways of making fish more entertaining. We are also bombarded with how important it is to include oily fish in our diet, so this is one meal that goes some way to achieving this. You could use low fat soft cheese if you wanted to reduce the fat content of this dinner but as there is no other fat I tend to not worry about it, particularly as there is a growing boy in the house. We ate ours with boiled new potatoes and steamed vegetables.

Salmon is one fish we enjoy eating but does need different things doing to it to make it enjoyable on a regular basis. I'm also still on a mission to use up items loitering in the freezer so the idea below combines a few different things that are common in our house. It is also another recipe that doesn't have exact measurements, as well as not wanting to calculate exact measurements in the supermarket I really don't have time to be weighing out ingredients as I'm cooking. The flat leaf parsley is another freezer standby, it's a bit of a luxury as I can grow my own but an invaluable buy from the supermarket, particularly as I've not got out to the veg patch in the last few weeks to check on the parsley's progress.

Salmon with a tasty crust (feeds two adults and a toddler)

2 salmon fillets

1 lemon

Medium fat soft cheese

Breadcrumbs (mine are in the freezer ready and waiting for when I need them)

Flat leaf parsley)

  1. Grate the zest of the lemon into a bowl mix with a generous handful of breadcrumbs and a generous sprinkle of parsley.
  2. Slice the remaining lemon into thin slices and place at bottom of oven proof dish, lay salmon fillets on top. Spread a generous coating of soft cheese directly on the salmon fillets. Then sprinkle the breadcrumb mix onto the cheese and salmon, aiming to coat all sides of fish.
  3. Put into a hot oven, 200°C for 20 – 25 minutes or until fish is cooked through.

No comments:

Post a Comment