Sunday 20 November 2011

Slow roast lamb

Today, we ate the first piece of lamb from the farm, and even though I'm probably completely biased, it was really tasty. Whilst this blog is about me cooking, I have to admit that my wonderful husband is also quite competent in the kitchen and throughout our married life to date his repertoire has been steadily increasing. The weekend is his favourite time to cook when he has time and I can look after the child. However I can often be found working getting ready for the next week of work so he may have a 2 and a half year old sous chef. One of his classic dishes involves slow cooking a shoulder of lamb; this is a recipe that has been adapted from TV chefs and my mother. You need to be around to put it in the oven but it is quick and easy to prepare but the end result tastes great. I always try to have a pot of rosemary growing somewhere in the garden but in recent year that has become pots as we enjoy cooking with this herb and one plant just wasn't enough.

There is still a lot of lamb to be used up, including one kidney, so I will try to find some different ways (that I can cope with) of preparing and cooking lamb. Tonight's lamb was accompanied with roast potatoes and cabbage and carrots. Our little boy loved the lamb and was found stealing chunks of freshly carved meat before it even got near a plate! I'm sure as he grows up we will get the questions about where the meat has come from. Some parents may find this a bit worrying but being on a farm means the life cycle is witnessed on a daily basis and I'll happily talk about how good a life these lambs have had.

Slow roast lamb

Half shoulder lamb (no idea about weight as if we're buying it from the butchers we buy a prepared half shoulder)

Springs rosemary

Olive oil

Salt pepper

  1. In an oven dish place a couple of rosemary sprigs. On top put the lamb shoulder, drizzle with olive oil and season well. Add the remaining rosemary sprigs. Cover tightly with tin foil. Put into oven about 180°C for 2 ½ to 3 hours, depending on size.
  2. For the last ½ an hour remove the tin foil. It's best if you can leave the meat to rest for 15 minutes before carving.

If, like us, you are serving 2 or so people you will have left over meat. My parents don't seem to manage this when they cook so it does make me wonder just how much roast lamb they can consume in one sitting! Anyway, I have learnt – through watching another TV chef – how to make a shepherd's pie, which I have adapted/made easier. Tomorrow, if shopping and day off go to plan, I will make a shepherd's pie for our dinner. There are other ways of using up the leftover meat and I like to have some in the freezer ready to go for a quick pie filling or last minute shepherd's pie if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment